We’ve had a LOT of people asking for a good Clam Chowder Recipe.
Well here it is, and I think you’re going to be EXTREMELY HAPPY with this one!!
As we were developing this recipe, it soon became one of my family’s favorites.
The only trick to getting this recipe on the money was trying to find the right keto vegetable to sub for the potato, but still maintain the taste and texture of the original.
I reverted back to my Faux-Tato Au Gratin idea, which I have served to many NON KETO friends and family, and none of them have picked out that it’s not potato yet!!
The secret is to cube the CORE of a CAULIFLOWER, and boil it until it is fork tender, and by the time you put it into that rich creamy chowder broth, I PROMISE, you will never tell that it’s NOT POTATO.
We also decided to bulk up the chowder by adding not only the clams, but also chopped up shrimp.
However, you could use whatever seafood you like!!
- 1 core of a large cauliflower cut into cubes (you can save the florets for another meal)
- 16.5 oz chopped or baby clams. (Save 1 cup of the clam juice – must have step)
- 12 oz uncooked shrimp (chopped into pieces)
- 1/2 pound of bacon (diced)
- 1 small onion (finely diced)
- 2 celery stalks (finely diced)
- 2 cups chicken broth/stock
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 – 1/2 tsp xanthan gum (according to the thickness you want)
we used 1/4 tsp
- salt and pepper to taste
- Boil cubed cauliflower core in a small saucepan over med/high heat, until the cauliflower is fork tender. Drain and set aside.
- Render chopped bacon over med/high heat in a large nonstick skillet.
- Add onion, celery and bay leaves, and sauté until translucent. Approx. 10 mins.
- Add clams and shrimp, and sauté until shrimp turn pink, and clams are cooked through.
- Add chicken stock and reserved clam juice, bring to a slow boil.
- Add cauliflower cubes.
- Add heavy whipping cream, stir until everything is incorporated and chowder comes back up to a simmer.
- Sprinkle in xanthan gum and stir until your desired consistency.
- Season to taste with Salt and Pepper.
- Serve and Enjoy
PRODUCTS WE USE:
- PIONEER WOMAN CUTTING BOARD
- PIONEER WOMAN KNIFE SET
- KITCHEN AID MEASURING SPOONS/CUPS
- T-FAL NONTICK 5qt JUMBO SAUTE PAN
Cooking Keto With Faith is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.