So…. I miss gnocchi…..I really really miss gnocchi!!
And yes, we’ve tried to make a few keto versions using the way too overused FATHEAD DOUGH.
I’m sorry, but…..NO!!! If you enjoy chewing on chewy cheese that’s posing as gnocchi…then that’s fine, but it in no way reminds me of the homey, comforting, soft, pillowy light as a feather gnocchi that I used to eat. The only thing just as bad as fathead dough gnocchi is the actual non keto gnocchi that u can buy in the dry pasta section at the grocery store too…..Those dry rubbery, chewy things ain’t gnocchi either!…But I digress.
If you like the kind of gnocchi that you get from an authentic Italian restaurant, then this recipe is for YOU!!
There was this one Italian Restaurant that I went to, that made the lightest, softest gnocchi ever, and it was Ricotta Gnocchi. So that’s what we’re going for here.
You can serve them rustic style, traditionally boiled and topped with a MARINARA SAUCE; Or for a special occasion, you can go all out and gently pan fry them, with crispy sage, prosciutto and drizzled with a brown butter sauce. Crispy on the outside, and pillowy on the inside. (RECIPE BELOW)
- 1.5 cups whole milk ricotta (Galbani works well because it’s drier)
- 1/2 cup unflavored whey protein isolate
- 1/2 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
- 6 TBSP coconut flour
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- 1/2 tsp salt (we use Redmonds Real Salt)
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- Put all ingredients into a large mixing bowl and stir until well combined.
- Roll into a ball and let sit for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes divide the dough into 4 equal wedges.
- Get 1 of the wedges and with both hands, roll into approx. a 12″ long log.
- Cut each log into roughly 10 even sized pieces, placing each gnocchi onto a parchment lined sheet tray . Do this with the other 3 wedges. You should end up with approximately 40 gnocchi altogether.
- To cook gnocchi, bring a large saucepan of water to a very slow boil/simmer (you do not want a rapid boil, because these gnocchi are very light and tender)
- Gently drop 1/2 of the gnocchi into the simmering water and cook for 2 minutes. Gently lift gnocchi out of the water with a SPIDER STRAINER or a Slotted Spoon (the spider strainer is definitely better), and then place them gently onto a paper towel. *** Some may stick a little together, just gently separate them ***
Then repeat with the 2nd batch.
- Serve them with your favorite sauce. We showed them below with our Marinara Sauce Recipe, or if you want something extra special, go the extra step and pan fry them in a little butter, to give them a crispy outside but still soft and tender on the inside (See recipe below)
PAN FRIED GNOCCHI WITH CRISPY SAGE, PROSCIUTTO IN BROWNED BUTTER SAUCE
- Large sage leaves (as many per serving, as you’d like 2-3 is a good amount)
- Prosciutto, torn into large pieces
- Parmesan Cheese for garnish
- Follow instructions for boiling.
- Melt butter in a large nonstick skillet over med/high heat. Add Sage leaves 1 at a time and fry until crispy. Set aside.
- Keep the butter heating, and when it starts to get frothy, closely watch the butter change color to a slightly caramelly color, with a rich nutty kind of smell. *** BE REALLY CAREFULL HERE, BECAUSE YOU DO NOT WANT THE BUTTER TO BURN OR IT WILL GO BITTER *** Take off the heat, pour the browned butter into another vessel and set aside.
- Add more butter to the nonstick skillet, as soon as it melts drop in half of the pre boiled gnocchi. Pan fry each gnocchi until it’s just golden and a little crisp, then flip over and do the same. Then repeat process with the remaining gnocchi.
- Once finished, serve the gnocchi with a few crispy sage leaves, prosciutto and drizzle with the browned butter and top with some Parmesan Cheese.
PRODUCTS WE USE:
- KITCHEN AID MEASURING SPOONS/CUPS
- PYREX MIXNG BOWLS
- PIONEER WOMAN KNIFE SET
- WILTON BAKING TRAY
- FARBERWARE 10.5 QUART NONSTICK POT
- SPIDER UNTENSIL
- RACHEL RAY NONSTICK SKILLETS
- T-FAL NONTICK 5qt JUMBO SAUTE PAN
- PASTA BOWLS
- SQUARE DINNER PLATES
Cooking Keto With Faith is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.